Friday, February 1, 2013

Shelving

I have a small wall space between the french doors and the bay window in my kitchen.  I've hung pictures, candle sconces, old window frames and wreaths, but decided it was time to change it up.  So I decided the wall needed shelves.  Shelves will allow me to "change the look" and accessorize for different seasons.  Therefore, with the help of my husband we build these:



First we had to plane rough-cut lumber.  Amazing the mess it makes to plane just two boards!




After planing the wood he used the table saw to cut the pieces to the appropriate width.  He then measured and cut lengths and angles to make four brackets:



I wanted the brackets to look heavy and bulky so he added a top and bottom plate which gave them this look:




I cut two shelving pieces...one measuring 24 inches in length and one 32 inches in length.  I thought two different sizes might be more appealing.  Once we sanded all the pieces I painted the brackets with "sandbar" and stained the shelves with dark walnut by Minwax. 



As you can see, I still need add the "wood buttons" to hide the screw holes, but once I do I will paint them to blend with the brackets. 



Now I just need to accessorize the shelves!  I have a few ideas and a few projects for the shelves and will be sharing those with you in the next few days.  I hope you'll come back and check it out!

Thanks for stopping by!

Lesa

2 comments:

  1. Great idea!! He did a great job on them too! Thank you for sharing this at Rustic Restorations Weekend!

    ReplyDelete